Saturday, September 17, 2016

Grad School Helps in the Classroom

So I'm actually taking a class right now on integrating technology into the adult classroom. It's been really interesting and taught me a lot. I can apply some of what I'm learning to my own classroom and this week I tried a discussion post on the Constitution since we are supposed to talk about the Constitution on Constitution Day.

I required my students to either post something they learned or a question they still had after watching the School House Rock Preamble video. I had some lower level questions, some higher level questions and it was informative about where my students are when it comes to an assignment like that. I also required students to post on at least one other student's question or comment about what they learned. That was interesting. I had some, "Yeah, I agree." I also had some who looked up information to answer questions. I had some who brought in their own thoughts. Some were very basic and there is room to improve, but I was surprised by some of the genuine conversation that occurred from fourth graders.

Overall I was excited to try it out in my classroom and I can see discussion posts really improving our critical thinking skills as we move throughout the year with some guidance and facilitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment