Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Reflection for 9/13/2016's BOAT meeting.



My definition of collaboration is people working together to create something whether it is a product, an idea or a goal. Each person is putting forth an effort in the product or idea created. Collaborating is usually preferred to working on your own because it allows more than one mind to look at a problem or an opportunity. The more minds you have working on something, the more ideas and perceptions are brought to the table. In the end it can be more successful than working on your own.

Tragically I had to say that it CAN be more successful. I don't think collaboration is always successful. Collaboration can be a tricky thing. First finding the time to get together with others is frequently a struggle. Another issue with collaboration is something you see with group work in general. So many times there isn't an even amount of effort put forth in collaborating. Some people might not want to collaborate, others might want to take over and do everything and ignore the voices of others. Collaboration does have its struggles, and I didn't even scratch the surface of the issues that can arise.




Some ways to help fix the issues of collaboration consist of good directions from the instructor. I think having clear expectations and requirements can help facilitate collaboration from a teacher to student standpoint. I think as teachers, our principal or facilitator has to have clear directions on how we need to collaborate. I also think that having people who are willing and able to participate as well as to listen to others we can be more successful.

Then collaboration becomes:


My commitment is to improve the way I collaborate by sharing more with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment